Suggestions for sync options

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:05 PM
Hi

I had a few suggestions on sync options based on expected usage, and seeing other sync apps.

1) It seemed a little strange to me to have a Stop Periodic Sync button. I'd have thought that most users would want a fairly frequent periodic sync interval and would only want to stop it in remote circumstances, so I'd have expected just to see a manual sync option under the Sync recurrence setting.

2) I think an hourly sync interval might not be frequent enough for some users, might there be a 30min interval? IIRC google's did it every 10 minutes and on any event creation.

3) I don't understand what the Hours & Minutes setting underneath Recurrence does.

4) Finally I think the default days in range seems a little restricted - I'd have thought that -7 days and +120days would more reflect most ppl's diaries. Indeed there's an argument for extending it even further into the future, although I've no idea what the data & processing impact of that is. Looking it from another perspective, why would ppl not want their entire diary synced?
Apr 17, 2015 at 7:43 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2015 at 7:45 PM
Hi,

1) Stop periodic sync is an additional functionality for people to allow stop syncing for a while or so. We will now be setting it to true, so periodic sync will be On by default, unless user changes it or unchecks "Remember periodic sync start stop status" on Others tab, it will always be on.

2) & 3) Hourly sync allows u to set the sync duration from every 5 min to 23 hr 59 min range. Hours and minutes signify the time duration.
If you wish to set sync for every 10 min : Set Hours to 0 , Minutes to 10
(We are now constructing detailed documentation for the application on codeplex, we are also considering to provide it in the Help tab of the application. I hope it will help in resolving the confusion)

4) I agree on the default range, now it will be set from 120 past and 120 future days by default.
We are also trying to add another option to sync entire calendar.

Your suggestions are helpful, We appreciate your taking time to improve the application.

Calendar Sync Plus Team
Apr 17, 2015 at 8:32 PM
Thanks for the reply.

1) If I wanted to stop periodic sync, my first instinct would be just to go to where it is configured and set it to manual, rather than expecting a kind of additional service stop/start function. It would make for fewer options too. ;-) Ditto for "Remember periodic sync start stop status".

2& 3) I'm afraid I still don't understand. Hourly sync is just that i.e. every hour, not every 5 min or 23h 59m. Also the sync duration is surely a function of how many events require syncing and network speed? I could understand an hourly sync schedule i.e. specifying to sync hourly at 5 minutes past every hour, but the parameter has an hour setting too, so that's what really confused me! ;-)

4) Cool thanks, sounds interesting!

Look forward to any new releases.
Apr 26, 2015 at 10:55 AM
Hi

I'm very pleased with this app. It does everything I need it to do.

My one suggestion would be the ability to sync whenever a new entry is placed in the calendar or whenever a send/receive event takes place. The reason for this is that I might place an entry in the calendar and then exit Outlook before sync takes place.

Most people will always click send/receive before they close Outlook so this would be a good way to ensure the new entries are sent to the web calendar.

But otherwise, well done for a fantastic app!!
May 1, 2015 at 7:31 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion, but i think we wont be able to implement the same as in order to listen to Outlook events, We need to subscribe to an "Outlook Instance" and Outlook being singleton, allows only one instance so outlook has to be kept on all the time,which by design this application do not intend to do.

As for your Issue what i believe you can do is "Enable Send/Recieve on exit" in Outlook

In Outlook Go to :
File > Options > Advanced
Find "Send/Recieve" in right hand side pane> Click "Send Recieve" button > In the Popup window check "Perform an automatic send/receive when exiting"

You Reviews,donations and suggestions are always welcome
Thanks and Regards
Calendar Sync + Team
May 1, 2015 at 9:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. Shame about Outlook being limited in that way. The tip about Send/Receive on Exit was very helpful.
May 3, 2015 at 7:14 PM
Hi,

We have released a new version 1.3.1.6 with the fixes mentioned in the post above. Please try this version and share your experience with us.

Thanks & Regards

Calendar Sync + Team
May 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM
Thanks for the update. It looks much better now.
The only thing I'd mention is that there seems to be no way of disabling sync (if anyone wanted to do that for testing etc.). I'd suggest an additional Recurrence option of None.
May 5, 2015 at 7:15 PM
Edited May 5, 2015 at 7:15 PM
To disable that,
-Go to Preferences-> Application,
-Choose Manual synchronization.
-Click Save

It will show the Stop Periodic Sync button On Main Screen
Click Stop Periodic Sync

Periodic sync will be stopped.

We'll be adding abort feature in future to add more usability.

Thanks & Regards
Calendar Sync + Team
May 6, 2015 at 8:58 AM
OK tx, I was just expecting it to be under the Sync tab! ;-)