Adding a Direct Push Feature?

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2015 at 11:27 AM
Hi,

We have looked into this requirement. As of now, we wont be able to implement the same as in order to listen to Outlook events, We need to subscribe to an "Outlook Instance" and Outlook being singleton, allows only one instance so outlook has to be kept on all the time, which by design, this application does not intend to do.

We are focusing on providing Sync thru Exchange Server. We're exploring the possibility of push feature thru this.

We'll update the progress of this feature thru codeplex & our social network pages.

Thank you for using Calendar Sync +.
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2015 at 5:09 AM
Edited Jun 10, 2015 at 5:12 AM
bilbo_b wrote:
Great. If you think about Exchange, would love to have a Sync from Outlook to Outlook.com. Since i primary use Outlook.com, im could not use it directly with Outlook 2007. As a Workaround i Sync to Google (without Attendees and without Reminders) and subscribe this Google Calendar in Outlook.com. The only bad habit is, that the Sync between Outlook.com and Google takes such a long time.

I know Outlook.com has only Exchange ActiveSync, but this would be a great thing for me. The Outlook.com Calendar is so much nicer as the Google Calendar.
Hi bilbo_b,
Just to clarify some more details on the "Exchange Server" front
Outlook.com -> Exchange Active Sync -> Live SDK for Communication
Office 365/Corporate Email -> Exchange Server -> Exchange API for Communication

Exchange API does not support Exchange Active Sync, so Live SDK (for Outlook.com) is next in pipeline after Exchange implementation.
We'll update you on the progress of these items through codeplex, and through our social network pages :). Please do subscribe.

Thanks and Regards
Calendar Sync + Team
(Twitter,Facebook,G+)
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2015 at 9:49 AM
Hi bilbo,
I was not able to find your post here but we got a notification on mail,
We have this requirement in our backlog, we go through this requirement every Alternate Sprint to find an Appropriate way to implement it.
Implementing this feature (The application you talked about also does does the same) requires you to hold on to the outlook application.
You also might have seen that CS+ does not depend on whether Outlook is running or not. CS+ detects and handles accordingly. This freedom allows CS+ to be stable and independent. Think of Outlook/Google as a database for getting data and CS+ acting upon that data irrespective of their differences. The current requirement introduces a dependency, a Direct, Non optional and tight dependency on Outlook Instance Lifecycle. This dependency not only directly impacts CS+ independence but also end users day-2-day outlook use (accidentally opening a Service Instance than a normal instance)Image

Also you can see that application starts outlook (Service Instance if outlook is not already running) and hold on to it until application is closed.

I hope you understand that though the feature is tempting and desirable, implementing this puts us in a dilemma (Feature Rich vs Stability).
Stability always comes out as a winner in the dev disucssions :).

We still have some ideas to migitate this limitation, we'll try them as and when we find time (based on Back log priority)

Thank you for your feedback.
Your Suggestion/Reviews and comments are always welcome :)

Thanks and Regards
Calendar Sync + Team
(Follow us on : Twitter,Facebook,G+)