What does "Keep Last Modified Version" option mean?

May 5, 2015 at 1:16 PM
Edited May 5, 2015 at 1:17 PM
I've got two way sync enabled and was wondering what the "Keep Last Modified Version (for bidirectional only)" option meant? The help doesn't say much. Why would I not want the latest version of an event to be synced? The default is off, which mystifies me rather. Does this mean that any subsequent event changes will just be discarded? Will the original event remain? Rather confusing ...
Coordinator
May 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM
Hi,

The option "Keep Last Modified Version" might change. Originally, it was there to allow user to modify the parent entry if the child entry has been modified.

What it was meant to do?
In bidirectional, If an entry was originally in Outlook, After first sync, its copy will be added to Google.
Now, if I modify that entry in Google, like update its description and this feature is checked.
It will update the description of the parent entry in Outlook on next sync.

We'll be refining bidirectional sync in next release. Current release contains no change to bidirectional sync. We found certain issues in the algorithm.
Hence, we'll be releasing it with a new sync engine in next release.

Its recommended not to use bidirectional in this release and its related features.

Hope this helps

Calendar Sync + Team
May 6, 2015 at 7:54 AM
Ok tx for the explanation. I'm not sure what parent and child entries mean in this context. Surely with bi-directional sync, both entries are peers?
However it does sound as if the "Keep Last Modified Version" option is exactly the behaviour I want (or at least expect from a calendar sync app). I'm puzzled why anyone would want it any other way. It would follow with any file sync app too.

But I'm rather confused re: "Its recommended not to use bidirectional in this release and its related features. " since bi-directional sync i.e. Outlook <> GCal is exactly what I want (and I suspect is what most ppl want also)!
Jun 3, 2015 at 9:24 AM
Hi

I see this function is back in 1.3.2.5 with the default = off. But can you provide more info on what it does if enabled or disabled? I'm still confused as to why ppl would not want appt updates to be synced! Isn't that the same as not syncing?